What is Giloy and where it originated?
According to Ayurveda, Giloy is said to be ‘Amrita’, due to its medicinal properties to prevent various fevers and other critical conditions. Giloy is called one of the three Amrit plants mentioned in the Ancient Indian Scriptures. Therefore, it is also called Amritavalli or Amrita in the Sanskrit language.
We are back in the time of Ayurveda to become more advanced in the field of healing and preventive medical science. Therefore, Ayurveda is considered to be the best natural form of healing methods in India and getting recognization all over the world.
Do you know from where it is originated?
Let’s know from where does it originate ! It is believed in Indian Mythology that when Immortal Nector (Amrit) was churned out of the ocean then a few drops from earthen pot was dropped out while Lord Vishnu was trying to save Amrit from demons.
It is said about the places where these drops were poured, this antipyretic herb- Giloy was originated and even, arrangement of Maha-KumbhMela once in 12 years took its shape. There are four holy places for the celebration of Maha-KumbaMela (fair) and these are Haridwar, Prayagraj, Ujjain and Nasik.
This Heart-leaved moonseed has abundant medicinal benefits with immunity booster ability. It has anti-toxic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties.
Giloy & Its Role in Preventing Various Types of Fevers:
In Ayurveda, Ama (unabsorbed food turned into toxin) or some foreign element are said to be responsible for the fever.
The herb-Giloy and its anti-inflammatory, antipyretic properties are best to boost immunity power to overcome the infection, fever and supports for a speedy recovery.
Helps to Regulate Blood Glucose Level
Giloy is also known as a ‘Madhunashini’ that means ‘destroyer of sugar’. Ayurveda Amrita improves the production of insulin that manages blood sugar levels. Therefore, it is useful to patients with diabetes and kidney.
Natural Stress And Anxiety Reducer
Giloy works over brain functions to calms down your disturbed nervous system to reduce mental stress, anxiety disorders & agony. It also improves memory and cognitive functions.
Improves Digestion Naturally
By reducing problems like diarrhoea, colitis, vomiting, hyperacidity, constipation & other problems, giloy improves the process of digestion and metabolism rate.
- You can boil Giloy juice or fine pieces of its leaves with a few Tulsi leaves to increase platelet count.
- To reduce body temperature, take ½ teaspoon of Giloy powder. Mix it with honey and eat this paste before the meal.
• Mix ½ teaspoon of Giloy powder in 1 glass of lukewarm water twice a day for better results.
Natural Immunity Booster:
Anti-oxidants are known to detoxify the body to boost up the immune system. Hence, increases the vitality of the person.
Giloy juice and powder is a one power-packed natural immunity booster and also, used to prevent liver diseases, urinary tract infections, and heart-related issues.
This AmritVatti rejuvenates the cells and also, purifies the blood that keeps the body clean internally and doesn’t allow for the accumulation of Ama (toxins), root-cause of all the health problems.
Role of Giloy in COVID-19:
As we have told you it is a powerful immunity booster and can help in raising weak immunity power.
Though, there is no such medical evidence that giloy can cure corona infection but definitely can help to strengthen the body’s ability to cope-up the challenges of the Corona Virus.
You may drink giloy juice two times a day regularly for 4-6 weeks.
In which form Giloy is more beneficial?
In Ayurveda, Giloy can be consumed in either a powdered form, liquid form or can be in the form of Kadha (decoction).
But, nowadays it is also found in capsule form. Forms may be different but their usage power and benefits will remain the same. Let us explain you in brief:-
- Taking giloy-ginger milk on a regular basis can help in reducing joint pain and inflammation in joints.
- Chewing giloy root or taking giloy juice will help you to reduce respiratory problems like cough & cold.
- It also improves the vision of the eyes, when applied over the eyes.
- Giloy is a potent ayurvedic medicine with immense health benefits and has pitta dosha pacifying quality for disorders like indigestion, constipation, burning sensation of hands and feet, fever, gout, fatigue, jaundice, diabetes, liver problems.
- Giloy as Guduchisatva/amrita satva/ heavenly elixir can help an individual with a long and healthy life.
Did you know the interesting fact about Giloy?
CharakaSutrasthana in its ancient medical texts strongly advocates the use of this traditional formulation for Agnideepani (improves digestion)
• Dahahara (relieves burning sensation)
• Mehahara (treats urinary tract disorders)
• Kashahara (Relieves cough)
• Trutahara (relieves excessive thirst)
• Rasayani (rejuvenates the whole body)
• Sangrahini (treats diarrhoea)
• Balya (improves muscle strength)
• Pandu (treats anaemia)
• Kustha (treats skin disorders)
• Kamala (prevents jaundice)
• Vatasruk (treats gout)
• Amahara (treats indigestion)
• Vaman (prevents nausea and vomiting)
• Krimihara (relieves intestinal worms)
• Jvara (useful in fever)
• Vrushya (acts as an aphrodisiac)
• Vayasthapana (prevents ageing)
• Hridaya (treats heart problems)
• Chakushya (treats vision problems)
• Prameha (manages diabetes)
• Shwasha (relieves breathing difficulties)
• Arsha (treats piles)
• And Krichra (treats painful micturition).
Now, we are sure that you will realize Giloy’s spiritual and traditional medical importance & significations of preventing illness & diseases.
Above are the potent reasons why Giloy has been regarded as the ‘Root Of Immortality’ and ‘Amrita’.
Disclaimer: The information that we have provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute or alternative for medical treatment by a health care professional. Because of an individual’s own medical needs & requirements, the reader should consult their physician or ayurvedic practitioner to determine the appropriateness of the information above provided.